Canada Day Preparation & Fireworks
Fireworks can be fun for humans and with Canada Day coming plus all the summer weekends, they are inevitable. Dogs don’t always hold the same enthusiasm however. Here are some tips for helping your dog cope with Fireworks Season.
- Make sure your dog is wearing Identification or has a microchip in case they run away.
- Keep your dog indoors during the fireworks, as far away as possible from the noise.
- Placing a thick blanket over their kennel can help muffle the sounds. Make sure their kennel is in an area where they will not over heat though.
- Make sure your dog is tired by the time nighttime comes and the fireworks begin. Lots of exercise may need to be done during the day.
- Give your dog something yummy to chew on in their kennel such as a kong filled with goodies.
If there is a fear there are prevention measures you can do. It is important to speak with your Veterinarian and Behavioural Consult to work towards desensitization the fireworks sounds.