National Puppy Day!
March 23, 2017 is National Puppy Day!
Here are Grassroots Canine’s Top 10 Puppy Tips
- Supervision is Key! If you keep an eye on your puppy at all times, they have no opportunity to get into trouble! Click here for more information on Crate Training.
- Housetraining your puppy from the beginning is so important. Take your new puppy out every 15 minutes in the beginning. Don’t give them an opportunity to have an accident inside. Reward the puppy when they do go outside. Click here for more information on House Training.
- Decide what the Rules & Boundaries of your house. This is a family collaboration and not a dictatorship. Make sure everyone is on board with the rules.
- When your dog does “cute puppy behaviour” like chewing your hand or jumping on you, try to think “Will this be cute when they are an adult and bigger”. Click here for more information on Chewing & Biting.
- Start grooming your dog at an early age. Teach them to love to be touched, not to fear it.
- Make sure you socialize your puppy to all different types of people, things, animals, textures, sounds, etc.
- Give them lots to chew on. Frozen carrots work great! Click here for more information on Chewing & Biting.
- Feed your dog 2-3 small meals per day. Dont let your dog graze throughout the day.
- Get to know your Vet and find out what vaccination plan is needed for your puppy. Take them often to be re-weighed and get use to being at the Vet.
- Enroll your family in a Training Class that supports the whole family. Click here for more information on Classes available.